Sunday, August 11, 2013

Wyoming: Lyman and Fort Bridger


 I'm really not sure if this is in Wyoming or Utah.  I think it was Utah.  At any rate, we stopped at a Mormon trail historic site, Echo Canyon.  It was a different kind of beautiful.  It was also important to me because it is history I could directly relate to; it's really cool when you can walk the same trail some of your ancestors probably did as Mormon pioneers.  
 The plant life in the mountains is very different from what I'm used to.

 Look at that beautiful red rock!  Though some of the mountains are only gray, some are this beautiful sedimentary red.
 This plant was so fragrant!  I couldn't quite place it, though.  It was spicy, but also a bit sweet... I think my dad ate some....


 A little after arriving at our friends' house in Lyman, we  decided to go shooting, a rare opportunity for those of us on the east coast.  
The crazy thing was that all we had to do was drive to where nobody was, set up some targets, and start shooting.  What?!  It was freedom I had never experienced.  
The place we chose was gorgeous.  I chose to forgo most of my shooting time to take different kinds of shots: photos!

 I climbed to the top of some ridges to get the best shots.  It's not easy with a camera bag, but I'm glad I did it.  
And do you notice something else about this photo?  The winter jacket, perhaps?  It was so cold!  Mind you that this is August.  I did not pack one, but I am so thankful for our wonderful friends to lend me this wonderful thing.  

There were cacti all over!  I think this was actually my first time seeing a wild cactus; my previous experience had cacti in pots.  (In my last few trips out west, I didn't notice such things.  Just family we visited, tourist attractions, and BYU.)
 My mom took this with her phone.  How awesome is this.  And the sunset I could see from there was just gorgeous. 
 Next was Fort Bridger!  
On our way in, we stopped at the restored Lincoln Highway Cabins.  This was so interesting--a fantastic piece of early 20th century history.  

 I was so happy to find this beautiful meadow area.  I love seeing new things, but there is something about green and trees that I can't seem to live without.  


 It was so pretty!
 This was Bridger's trading post site.  They had been excavating the site and studying it.







 They actually had a covered wagon!  So cool!

This is Bridger's fort.  It was really amazing to see, especially with the inside restored. You could even see the inside and imagine Bridger in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment